List of resources - post-secondary education
For syllabi, see these sources:
American Nonviolence: Fall 2000, Marist College, Dr. Greg Moses
Nonviolence USA: A Bibliography to the Index to Historical Sources in Theory and Practice; Dr. Greg Moses
Nonviolence Today (white paper) for University of California, Berkeley course PACS 164b [1.5mb PDF]; Antonio Castillo, Chelsea Collonge, and Matthew Taylor
For more on non-violence, see the METTA Center.
- Nagler, Michael. 2004. The Search for a Nonviolent Future: A Promise of Peace for Ourselves, Our Families, and Our World. Makawao, HI: Inner Ocean Publishing. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Lynd, Staughton and Alice Lynd, ed. 1998. Nonviolence in America: a Documentary History, rev. ed. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Del Vasto, Lanzo. 1974. Warriors of Peace. Trans. Jean Sidgwick and ed. Michel Random. New York: Alfred A. Knopf. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- King, Martin Luther, Jr. 1963. Stride Toward Freedom: the Story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Now available in J. M. Washington, Ed. Testament of Hope: the Essential Writings of Martin Luther King, Jr. [Amazon]
- Zunes, S., Kurtz, L. and Asher, S. Nonviolent Social Movements: a Geographical Perspective. 1999. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing. Histories and analysis of mostly insurrectionary, “people-power” movements since King.
- Wink, Walter, Ed. Peace is the Way: Writings on Nonviolence from the Fellowship of Reconciliation. 2000. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books. Excellent collection of leading activists and thinkers.
- Howard Zinn. 2002. The Power of Nonviolence : Writings by Advocates of Peace. Boston: Beacon Press. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Schell, Jonathan. 2003. The Unconquerable World: Power, Nonviolence, and the Will of the People. New York: Metropolitan Books. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Chernus, Ira. 2004. American Nonviolence: The History of an Idea. Maryknoll: Orbus Books. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Rosenberg, Marshall B. and Lucy Leu, ed. Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life: Create Your Life, Your Relationships, and Your World in Harmony with Your Values. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi, published by the Government of India, is now available as a searchable CD from the M.K. Gandhi Center for Nonviolence at Christian Brothers University, Memphis TN and can be accessed on line at www.gandhiserve.com.
- The Collected Writings of Martin Luther King, Jr. are being published by the University of California Press.
- Powers, Roger, Vogele, William, Kruegler, Christopher, and McCarthy, Ronald. 1997. Protest, Power, and Change: An Encyclopedia of Nonviolent Action from ACT-UP to Women's Suffrage. New York: Garland. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- A Force More Powerful. Six-part series on (strategic) non-violent episodes from Gandhi to the present, by Jack DuVall and Peter Ackerman. Shown on PBS. [order from The Peace Company online]
- Bringing Down a Dictator. Excellent documentary of the 2000 student-led non-violent overthrow of then-President Slobodan Milosevic.
- A Time for Justice . Probably the best single short documentary, among many, of the Civil Rights movement. Produced for the Teaching Tolerance Project of the Southern Poverty Law Center and distributed by email@example.com. [also available from tolerance.org online]
- Muller, Jean-Marie. 2002. Non-Violence in Education. Paris: UNESCO. Published in collaboration with the Institut de Recherche sur la Résolution Non-Violente des Conflits (IRNC). See the UNESCO education portal online.
http://portal.unesco.org/education/en/file_download.php/fa99ea234f4accb0ad4 3040e1d60809cmuller_en.pdf (accessed March 1, 2005 - no longer available January 2006).
Gandhi & his teachings
- Easwaran, Eknath. 1997. Gandhi the Man: The Story of His Transformation. 3rd ed. Blue Mountain Center of Meditation, CA: Nilgiri Press. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Gandhi, Arun. 2003. Legacy of Love: My Education in the Path of Nonviolence. El Sobrante, CA: North Bay Books. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Gandhi, M.K. Gandhi An Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments With Truth. Forward by Sissela Bok. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Gandhi, M.K. 2002. The Essential Gandhi : An Anthology of His Writings on His Life, Work, and Ideas, 2nd ed. Ed. Louis Fischer. New York: Random House. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Attenborough, Richard. Gandhi. 2001(?). VHS. [Amazon DVD 1982 Amazon VHS 1982]
- Biography: Mahatma Gandhi. 1997.
- Gandhi's India. BBC documentary of Gandhi's economic ideas and the consequences to India of not following them.
2. Peace & related topics
- Boulding, Elise. 2000. Cultures of Peace: the Hidden Side of History. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University Press. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Pardesi, Ghanshyam, ed. 1982. Contemporary Peace Research. With the assistance of Rapoport, Anatol, and Ekkehart Krippendorff. Brighton: the Harvester Press. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Boulding, Kenneth E. 1989. Three Faces of Power. Newbury Park, CA: Sage. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Gregor, Thomas, ed. 1996. A Natural History of Peace. Nashville: Vanderbilt University Press. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Tongeren, Paul, van. 1999. Reflections on Peace Building. In People Building Peace: 35 Inspiring Stories from Around the World, ed. Bureau M&O;, 124-6. Utrecht: European Centre for Conflict Prevention.
- Galtung, Johan. After Violence: 3R, Reconstruction, Reconciliation, Resolution; Coping With Visible and Invisible Effects of War and Violence. TRANSCEND: A Peace and Development Network. http://www.transcend.org/ (accessed December 6, 2004).
- Galtung, Johan. 2000. Conflict Transformation by Peaceful Means (the Transcend Method): Participant's Manual. Geneva: United Nations Disaster Management Training Programme (DMTP). http://www.transcend.org/ (accessed February 2, 2005).
- Noguera, Pedro. 1996. Reducing and Preventing Youth Violence: An Analysis of Causes and an Assessment of Successful Programs. InMotion Magazine, 28 April. Availble online. (accessed February 1, 2005). (Orig. pub. 1995, Harvard Ed. Review.)
- Burns, Robin J. and Robert Aspeslagh, ed. 1996 Three Decades of Peace Education Around the World: an Anthology. New York: Garland Publishing. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Raviv, Amiram, Louis Oppenheimer, and Daniel Bar-Tal, ed. 1999. How Children Understand War and Peace: a Call for International Peace Education. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Jones, Tricia S., and Randy Compton, Ed. 2003. Kids Working it Out: Stories and Strategies for Making Peace in Our Schools. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Stomfay-Stitz, Aline M. 1993. Peace Education in America, 1828-1990: Sourcebook for Education and Research. Metuchen, NJ: The Scarecrow Press. [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Rosenberg, Marshall B. Raising Children Compassionately: Parenting the Nonviolent Communication Way (NVC Guides). [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Brock-Utne, Birgit. 1996. The Challenges for Peace Educators at the End of the Millennium. International Journal of Peace Studies 1 (1): 37-55. - Hicks, David. Which Way to Peace? Part I: Educating for Peace. Peace Pledge Union. (accessed November 3, 2004). (Orig. pub. 1988, in Hicks, D., ed. Education for Peace: Issues, Principles & Practice in the Classroom. London: Methuen.)
- Hicks, David. Which Way to Peace? Part I: Educating for Peace. Peace Pledge Union. (accessed November 3, 2004). (Orig. pub. 1988, in Hicks, D., ed. Education for Peace: Issues, Principles & Practice in the Classroom. London: Methuen.)
- Ridley, Kim. 2005. In Kids We Trust. Ode Magazine. 21, March. (accessed March 1, 2005).
- Sparks, Dennis. 2001. Why change is so challenging for schools: Interview with Peter Senge. Journal of Staff Development 22 (3): 42-7.
- Muller, Jean-Marie. 2002. Non-Violence in Education. Paris: UNESCO. Published in collaboration with the Institut de Recherche sur la Résolution Non-Violente des Conflits (IRNC). Downloadable PDF (accessed March 1, 2005).